Immigration Practice Areas

The Hill Law Group Immigration Practice Provides Legal Advice and Representation in All Areas of U.S. Immigration and Nationality Law


  • Family-Based Petitions
  • Employment-Based Petitions
  • VAWA Petitions
  • Affirmative Asylum


  • Defensive Asylum
  • Cancellation of Removal

Obtaining your Green Card

Obtaining lawful permanent resident status (Green Card) is your first step in gaining U.S. citizenship. The Hill Law Group will guide you through this complex process, which can be very confusing.

Obtaining your Green Card is a two-step process. First, a petition (Form I-130 or I-140) is filed on your behalf, or in some cases a self-petition may be filed (VAWA). Next, the green card application (Form I-485) is filed for adjustment of status.

Our firm has extensive knowledge in this area and we will help you determine if you qualify to receive your Green Card without having to return to your country or if you are ineligible and must to return to your country and undergo consular processing.

Different Ways to Obtain Your Green Card

Family-based — If you are related to a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (LPR), which may include a spouse, parent, child or sibling, your relative may petition for a family-based visa on your behalf.

Employment-based — When you are offered permanent employment in the United States, you may be sponsored for a Green Card by your employer. We have represented both employers who sought to sponsor a worker as well as workers who are seeking a Green Card.

Asylum — When citizens of another country have a fear of persecution or violence upon returning to their country, the United States can offer asylum. An asylum application must be filed within one-year of entry into the United States. One year after asylum is granted, and if you can show that you have had continuous presence in the United States, you may apply for a Green Card. This is a very complex area of law and should not be attempted without the guidance of an experienced immigration attorney.

Call the Hill Law Group today at 201-621-0412 or contact us online. We can help you determine how to obtain a Green Card.


Additional Visa Information

Immigration Lawyer, Connie Hill, Hackensack, NJ